#1 Chew Toys
Teething: When Pomeranian puppies are teething, this can be a rough time for the pup, and a desperate time for owners, as they search for ways to help. Teething, the process in which milk teeth fall out and adult teeth grow in, typically starts at the 4 to 5 month mark. It will last several months, often winding down at the 8 to 9 month mark.
During this time, a pup’s gums are incredibly itchy and may feel sore as well. The urge to chew is exceedingly strong. Just about anything may be mouthed in a pup’s search to find relief. So, now is the time to have a few great teething toys that do their job.
Elements to look for in a good teething toy:
- Correct size, so that sections of the toy can fit into a Pom puppy’s mouth, which is not always easy with small toy breeds.
- A pliable yet durable consistency to provide a pleasing chewing experience.
- It must draw the pup in. Flavor is an effective method for this.
- And it must be designed in a way that the toy is able to ‘scratch’ the strong itch that a puppy will have.
There are two main things to look for in this regard. Small nubs and/or ribs work very well. These are tiny little bumps that you’ll see on the toy, which are fantastic for a teething pup.The other is twisted rope toys. Rope, when sized right, is terrific; it can be worked into areas that are giving the pup a problem at any one given moment, and the texture is great for itchy gums.
Recommended Teething Toys:
2. Nylabone Just For Puppies Key Ring Toy.
3. Puppy Chew Mini Teething Rope Toy Set.
Chew toys for all ages: The other type of chew toy is a more general toy, that is meant to please dogs of all ages.
Recommended chew toys: For basic chew toys, there are a couple of terrific ones that stand out:
Recommended toys for super strong chewers: If your Pom’s teeth are like sharp little razors, and they’re known for ripping things apart (even the durable toys as mentioned above), the next step would be to move to the Hurleys and for larger Poms, the Kongs. Again, the tricky part is finding ones small enough.
1. West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Toy.
#2 Toys to Keep a Pom Busy and Focused
These will be needed for several reasons:
- To keep a Pom busy and focused when he’s home alone by himself.
- These can be a great tool for if a Pom wakes up at night to offer something to play with instead of waking you up.
- Are perfect when you want to keep your Pom busy when you are home, but are doing other things and cannot interact with him.
Recommended ‘stay busy’ toys: Dog toys that speak are really great for this. Let’s look at some awesome options:
1. PetQwerks Talking Babble Ball.
3. Multipet Look Who’s Talking Cow.
#3 Treat Release Toys
Treat release toys are really terrific for a couple of reasons:
- To keep a puppy occupied if he wakes up during the night or super early in the morning.
It can be hard for pups to sleep through the night during the first couple of months; in some cases, if they have a small treat dispensing toy, this can keep them happy for quite a while (though companion toys work great too, and we’ll touch on those ahead).
- An effective method to feed a Pomeranian when he’s home alone during meal time.
Pomeranians need to be fed 2 to 3 meals per day. And while you can leave food out in a bowl if you will be gone during a feeding time, another great option is to use a treat dispensing toy.
Tips for treat release toys for your Pom: You can fill these with either your Pom’s dry kibble or small-sized treats. If you find that your puppy or dog is able to release the food much too quickly, you can mix the dry bits of kibble or treats with all-natural, smooth peanut butter. Most dogs love this.
Recommended treat dispensing toys for Poms: The tricky part of this is to find ones that are the right size for this breed. A huge majority of these are for dogs up to 20 lbs. Luckily, the PetSafe Busy Buddy Barnacle Dog Toy, Extra Small exists; they really hit the mark on this one, offering just the right size that dispenses treats perfectly. It consists of 3 orbs that each hold treats, making it easy for Poms of all ages to manipulate.
#4 Companion Toys
Our recommended companion toy: By far, the Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy is one of the best companion toys that you’ll find.
#5 Toys for Both of You to Play Together
There are some really fun options for this. Let’s take a look:
1-B. KONG Wubba Dog Toy.
Wubbas are awesome for a few reasons; though, the small is pretty good size which makes this ideal for adults, not so much for young pups. This cool toy consists of a tennis ball and a squeaker ball wrapped in fabric and a 4-piece tail, which makes it enticing to run after and easy to mouth and bring back to you. You might also want to check out the KONG Wubba Ballistic Friends, which is the same toy but made to look like cute animals.
1-C. Chuckit! Flying Squirrel.
1-D. Midlee Mini Dog Tennis Balls.
Let’s look at some puzzle games that are sized well for Pomeranians while offering lots of fun:
1-B. Trixie Pet Products Flip Board Game.
1-C. Joe’s Home Dog Snuffle Mat.